Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Three Splashes, a flash and then an e-mail

Down on the Bega yesterday and heard a splash - looked over and saw ripples. Too big for a fish, I looked expecting to see kids throwing either themselves or things in the river - nope, so maybe a fish?

A couple of minutes later, another one - must be a big fish hunting - although how it has survived all the men with hooks I don't know (not real fishermen, I've got one in the family and they don't do what the hook men do).

Walked on - over the bridge back along the Bega and bugger me if the damn splash didn't happen again - in exactly the same place.

I think to myself - time to waddle along and investigate, so waddle along I do - and investigate.

You only get the briefest of flashes with a Kingfisher - especially if you are stupid enough to go waddling along in their direction. They are a magnificent bird - quite small, which is a suprise to people when they first see them - all the telephoto shots filling the tv screens have lead to a false expectation as too the importance of size.

And the splash was not quite so big as I'd heard either - the effect I guess of the smooth water and calm day - they are much better at fishing than the local hookers!

Not only that, my dreams were full of colourful imaginative birds - one of which I'd even named and in my dreams searched for on the net.

And this morning? Well, just before going out to sit on the opposite side of the river in the shade and waiting (I want more than a flas this time) I turn on my computer to recharge the mp3 player, check my email and low and behold - a letter:

I write to ask whether you would be willing to include a link to (or even write a blog entry about) the WINGS tour “Birds and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival,” conducted each June by Rich Hoyer and Bryan Bland. This imaginative combination of birding and culture follows in the tradition of our popular “Birds and Music” and “Birds and Art” tours of Europe. After a delightful morning of birding that includes famously delicious picnic breakfasts and lunches in stunningly gorgeous surroundings, we return in time for a daily performance in the theaters just a block from our hotel.

I am thinking about this and toddle along to their blog and what should great me - a kingfisher. So, yes I'll give you the link with pleasure (and I'd even join the tour if I were in the USA - and had the money).

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: