Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Houghton Legacy

I think it was Peter Houghton who introduced me to Emerson, Lake and Palmer: ELP.

I am certain it was his fault I started to listen to Yes.

Genesis, I think, came a different route.

With 50-up tomorrow, I have started to 'find' some of my old music. Pictures at an Exhibition, the ELP version, more than anything else I can conciously think of, sent me off on the road to 'serious (classical to all you heathens) music.

Yesterday I popped a cd of Brain Salad Surgery inot my new home cinema system (whatever hapened to record players?). Strange, I picked up that cd only a week ago in Timisoara, Romania.

It was 'interesting'. When I listened to it all those years ago I hadn't realised I was listening to so much classical inspired music: Or such fuzzy sound.

Mind you, then I had a small turntable with a single, limited power speaker and all the sound qualities of a dead cat. I would stretch out on the floor in front of the machine with my head as close as possible, turn up the volume and imagine I had stereo speakers.

Lady Ryeburn wasn't around - gone walkabout to Australia I think. But that is a lot of extra material to write about.

No, I owe Peter a lot. I am sure my love of music was filtered through the ELP experience.

No comments: