Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A thankful disappointment

I just caught myself being disappointed that the latest hurricane wasn't a bit more destructive - wasn't the promised, 'Storm of the Century'.

A strange thought ... why would I be delighted in greater destruction? What is it that has dragged me into this urge for seeing a violent and ultimately tragic outcome?

Part of the answer I think is from the impulse humans have to tell stories ... we like a good story.

We are driven by a pattern of narrative which leads us to expect outcomes and if those outcomes are not reached there is a disappointment.

The British and the US media have been leading us to expect a 'certain' outcome ... it hasn't (thankfully) arrived ... so - not a good storm!

Odd the way narrative guides us through life.

, , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: