Saturday, May 24, 2008

In Black and White ...

Meet Mr Nasty:



That thing is a Magpie, Pica pica to his friends - if it has any.

There was a bit of scuffling going on in one of the trees just outside the kitchen window last week, which turned into a full scale screaming match: Two Magpies were being attacked by a couple of ring necked doves. 'Something up,' I thought at the time. The Doves were vigorous, but ultimately unsuccessful.

I've noticed this week that two of doves come and eat at the breakfast table (my window sill - where I drop seed in the morning for them).

Strange - there'd only been one, and I wondered what had happened to the other - then the penny dropped (too much Agatha Christie?) - one had been sitting on the nest all the time - and the Magpies had attacked, and killed the chicks.

There are two again because the youngsters are dead.

It's good to see them back - but 'Raw in Tooth and Nail' as someone said.

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: